(2 mins read)
Uganda‘s President Yoweri Museveni has ordered the suspension of a multi-million dollar European Union fund operating in the country that supported local democracy and governance groups.
It follows the European bloc’s decision to recommend sanctions against Uganda in light of arrests and a crackdown on political opponents since President Museveni’s contested re-election in January.
In a letter to his finance minister, President Museveni said funds paid by the EU to the Democratic Governance Facility (DGF) ended up being “used to finance activities and organizations designed to subvert Government under the guise of improving governance”.
The EU has yet to comment.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Top 5 Cultural and Historical countries in West Africa
- AdeAfrica Quiz - What's your dream destination ?
- Senegal - A 2024 Travel Guide
- Rwanda - A 2024 Travel Guide
- 10 cool things to do in Dakar, Senegal - Travel Blog
- Africa's 3 Megadiverse countries and why they're so important
- Top 10 must places to see in Banjul: Gambia Travel Blog
- Equatorial Guinea - A 2024 Travel Guide
Have a story? Would you like to be a writer for our platform? If so, Contact us below
Weekly Blog Stats
- 14,492 Views