Equatorial Guinea, the only African country to speak Spanish as its official language is situated in the west of Africa. Its neighbouring countries are Cameroon and Gabon. The capital is Malabo situated on the island off Bioko which is closer to Cameroon than the mainland. The local currency being the Central African Franc (CFA).

Fun Fact! The country has the highest literacy rate in sub-Saharan Africa but only one university in the whole country! – That is what I call small but mighty.

If you’d like to know more interesting facts about this African country, watch below!

So let's break this country up into PARTS.


The different ethnic groups that make up Equatorial Guinea are the Fang, Bubi, Mdowe, Annobon and Bujebas. However, the official languages here are Spanish, Portuguese and French due to them being a former colony, with the majority of the population speaking Spanish, some local languages such as Fang and Bubu are also spoken.


The capital is home to some beautiful greenery. Pico Basille National park and Malabo National Park are beautiful protected areas with diverse vegetation and wildlife.

For those adventures why not climb the tallest mountain in the country Pico Basile, located in the capital.

Cathedral of St. Isabel of Malabo is a captivating cathedral.

Outside Malabo, Monte Alen National Park is a must see. This protected tropical forest in the centre of the mainland of the country. This forest is home to some amazing wildlife such as leopards, elephants and gorillas.

Rituals and Culture

The majority of the population practice Christianity and Catholicism with Islam being the next biggest religion.

The national dish is Succotash which are lima beans, vegetable and herbs cooked in butter and the national drink being Malamba juice (made from sugar can). Some staple foods include cassava, potatoes, and varying fish. Spanish culture has also affected the country’s palette with restaurants often serving tapas.


– Strapped with cash. There are very few ATMs in the capital and even fewer in rural areas, so it is always best to carry some CFA on you.

– A permit is needed to be able to take photographs in this country. Photographs of governmental buildings and airports are illegal.


For more travel advice check out; FCO: Travel Advice 

Outside of the UK: Please check your government’s travel advice carefully.



%d bloggers like this: